29 replies to this topic

#1 Daftforlife

Daftforlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

Was just messing around with a few different pens. Bought a fabricmate pen and did the formstripe first but those really suck. Later I went out and got a few Copic pens and man those are sweet. I wanted to keep the OG grey stripe but since I already messed it up I decided to just mess around. I'm buying 3 pairs of Natural Clydes so expect something better in the coming week.

#2 pumaking

pumaking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

Daft if if I gave you the money for shoes and your time would you be willing to do 1 for me? I must say man they look REALLY NICE

#3 retroj

retroj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Daft, Pretty spiffy for your first one i gotta say, i guess you must be artistically inclined b/c i know if i tried something like that it would probably look like a bunch of paint blobs on my sneaker, LOL.

try something different on your next one, like something we haven't seen before, you're "own" creation, u know.  

do you have ideas for the next one?

#4 Trexo

Trexo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

Wow those look great for your first time! But I really think you should go for something your own style, give robl a run for his money wink.gif

#5 superpavel

superpavel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2924 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

Damn, those look great Daft, nice work! The color AND the pattern is sweet! Did you use some kind of stencil?

#6 rufustelestrat

rufustelestrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:35 AM

I must say those are sweet. I would love to strangle them myself.

#7 Trexo

Trexo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:09 AM

I must say those are sweet. I would love to strangle them myself.

LOL Good choice of words~ wink.gif

#8 Daftforlife

Daftforlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

I'm actually thinking of some of my own ideas I just wanted to see if I could copy something simple but sweet. It was all freehand and took about hmmm 4 or 5 hours total....for 1 shoe. I still have the right shoe to finish. I am ordering a few Clydes 2 Natural/Green and 1 Natural/Blue. Hopefully I will have a new one in 2 weeks or so. Should be alot better as well.

Oh and pumaking yah I wouldn't mind doing one for ya. I'd probably not even charge that much. If I focus and take my time it would only take me a day or 2 to make something sweet. Let me get a month of practice first and then send some shoes my way. Maybe by then I can figure out how to put a logo on it or something.

#9 pumaking

pumaking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:56 AM

Sounds good man, Id attempt this but I just dont have the time. With work, school, and my side business  as well as my other car projects doesnt really leave much.

Just let me know when your ready, definatly wouldn't mind spreading the word.

#10 emeraldpuma

emeraldpuma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1120 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:27 AM

Very nice work on the neck snappers " D ".

#11 retroj

retroj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

yeah daft, you might be starting a side buisness here.....i'm D with thowing some cash ur way for a pair of, "Daftcustoms"

#12 vitaminG

vitaminG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:40 AM

http://www.rob-l.com/shoe.php?id=27&shoeimage=80

#13 Trexo

Trexo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

And ???

Did you miss the very obvious "Rob-L Inspired" ...

#14 vitaminG

vitaminG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

And ???

Did you miss the very obvious "Rob-L Inspired" ...

i thought some people might be interested in what the origin of the inspiration was.

#15 Daftforlife

Daftforlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:37 PM

I get paid tomorrow and will be buying those natural/green clydes so expect new pics and my own custom design by next friday.

#16 pumaking

pumaking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:05 AM

i thought some people might be interested in what the origin of the inspiration was.

Dont take it the wrong way, just posting the link doesnt really let us know what your intentions were with the comment. Thanks  for clearing it up.

#17 Naister

Naister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:38 AM

very nice daft, but I really want to see what youre gonna come up with!

#18 Daftforlife

Daftforlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

Ive been drinking alot and coming up with some crazy stuff. Jotting it down on paper and what not so when I come out of my drinking coma I will gather my ideas and throw something new and fresh.

Just a hint.

The direction I'm going for the first few is Rob-L simplified yet refined if that helps. (patterns wise)

Oh and update: My brother is letting me use his grey/natural suedes to speed up the process. Pics in a few days.

Also almost done with the other shoe so pics of the full Rob-L inspired Grey/Orange Suedes coming up tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Hope to hear some more!

Peace

#19 RobL

RobL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

Uh oh... Time for my first post on Pumatalk then.

First up, I'm glad that what I do can inspire people to customise trainers, and I've given loads of help and advice to all sorts of people along the way to encourage them in their work. Check the custom threads on Crooked Tongues for the couple of years worth of advice I have shared...

However, I really REALLY don't want to see somebody COPY my work and ideas.

You need to come up with your OWN ideas for patterns and styles, otherwise all you are doing is making the equivalent of a "custom variant" or in other words a fake, a cheap copy, a rip-off.

I'm not trying to piss you off by saying this, and I am flattered to be the inspiration, but now that you have tested your theory and used an example to guide you through the process of executing a custom like this YOU NEED TO COME WITH YOUR OWN STYLE.

Anything less is selling yourself short, unless you want to be known as an imitator...

As you said "The direction I'm going for the first few is Rob-L simplified yet refined if that helps. (patterns wise)"

Be original man!!!! I didn't invent patterns or polygons or whatever, but I did develop and figure it out for myself, by myself, without biting from somebody else. You need to think the same in the long term if you want to be anything other than the equivalent of those dudes in China who bootleg everything!

The last thing I want to do is stifle your creativity by the way, so please please PLEASE carry on, but do something original.

Give me a run for my money, and make it from your own ideas, not a cheap remix of mine!

#20 PUMA!TALK

PUMA!TALK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:45 AM

However, I really REALLY don't want to see somebody COPY my work and ideas.

I'm with Rob on this.  It's a copy of his sneaks and not what it seems ot be "my first custom".  Inspiration is cool - next time be creative with your own style & patterns... Its clear, RobL took it personal since he makes a living out of this and even if he didnt, the custom kicks on here are a mimic of his work. Not trying to be an ass, but its the truth.

-Joey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users