76 replies to this topic

#1 MarcSJ08

MarcSJ08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:29 AM

A tribute to UK sneaker customizer ?Rob L?, PUMA teamed up with this devoted Clyde historian, collector and artist to develop the sought after ?Archipelago Clydes?.First noting the presence of Clydes in the book ?Spraycan Art? back in 1988, Rob L became obsessed with PUMA Clydes and Suedes. He soon started collecting as well as customizing them in a unique way.

Rob L?s hand painted Archipelago Clydes bubbled up in the sneaker media as one of the most sought after sneakers in 2007. Featuring the distinct Rob L pattern and technique, which Rob started to develop by coloring sneaker suede uppers in panels with Pantone marker pens. As coloring with marker pens worked out to be patchy on big areas, he perfected his technique by breaking it down to smaller patches of color and into very organic looking shapes. The ?archipelago? pattern was born, named after the Greek word which is used to describe a collection of small islands.

The perfection of this ?factory finish look? technique ? in the sense that it has the feel of factory produced item rather than a traditionally hand customized shoe ? is meant to startle the onlooker and is also born through a desire to produce an item which loses the ?home made? feel of traditionally customized sneakers. It rather stems from a Hip-Hop philosophy or approach of taking an existing product and re-mixing it to create a totally unique product. With the release of the RobL Clyde, effectively Rob L?s original model now becomes a sample, not a custom.

The original blue-atoll colorway & a triple white version have been reproduced as a complimentary gesture to Rob L on his distinctive ?Archipelago? design. The shoe also features a slightly padded tongue which is designed to make the laces sit wider apart ? an improvement on the old ?jelly-roll? technique of stuffing rolled up socks under the tongue to achieve a bigger shape. Other details include a smooth and soft nubuck upper with a raised pattern screen-print and the Rob L stamp in the sockliner and FOT. 500 pairs per colorway will be available world-wide.

Solebox will have them in stock as of June 21rst.

More images after the jump.

#2 Naister

Naister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:59 AM

man robs been dropping hints about these

I'm so excited, theyre so nice

#3 pumaking

pumaking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:06 AM

Im down definatly gonna try to snatch these up, sucks thats it solebox only.

#4 Trexo

Trexo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:08 AM

I have mixed feelings about these...they are def dope and love the shade of blue! The only thing is that it's kind of weird that a customizer would have his shoe mass produced.

Anyone have more pics and prices?

#5 Naister

Naister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:09 AM

I doubt its just solebox

#6 Daftforlife

Daftforlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:13 AM

The blue ones will be mine

#7 Reaa

Reaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:17 AM

I have my right to my opinion so Im going just going to say it straight.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

People who have bought this style of shoe wanted a ONE OF A KIND thing.
Not something EVERYONE will wear.
Good job selling out.

#8 Naister

Naister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:24 AM

I dont think Rob is selling out.
although the style is his, its a collaboration shoe allowing people of all sizes to get some sweet kicks

#9 rufustelestrat

rufustelestrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:39 AM

I have my right to my opinion so Im going just going to say it straight.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

People who have bought this style of shoe wanted a ONE OF A KIND thing.
Not something EVERYONE will wear.
Good job selling out.

I must agree here. I remember Rob coming on here to chastise Daft for his "copying" his design, but now it is ok the have a machine printed reproduction. Sure artists who work in Oil would then sell Llithographs of the original, but this is a pale comparison to the original works.  Truth be told, I would rather have a Daft FL custom than a machine made authorized version.  My feelings aside, the original ones you made Rob have Soul as well as Sole, these seem like an attempt by Solebox to co-opt them into the main stream, no matter how limited.  Just like MTV Raps, these seem more formulaic than original.  

Imagine this, when Jackson Pollock was alive, you could get an original for 5k, have an original that recently sold for 2.1 million. or you could have purchased a litho for $10, and now you can purchase a copy in oil for $375.  I would rather have the original Rob.

#10 Trexo

Trexo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:11 AM

Yea I'm with Reaa and Ruf, it's what I meant by finding it weird. I would be pissed to have an original pair and then these are out for a huge fraction of the price and most likely having new cats asking what year the originals were made thinking they were some mass produced janks~ Shame for the sell out, but wouldn't it be everyones dream to get their art mass produced...wait think about that, no that's what destroys art.

I still want them, but it's a shame it's just another gimmick by puma.

Actually, the more I think about it the less I want these shoes...

#11 Naister

Naister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:20 AM

I think that its Puma honoring Rob for workin so hard and making pumas beautiful

#12 rufustelestrat

rufustelestrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:23 AM

Yea I'm with Reaa and Ruf, it's what I meant by finding it weird. I would be pissed to have an original pair and then these are out for a huge fraction of the price and most likely having new cats asking what year the originals were made thinking they were some mass produced janks~ Shame for the sell out, but wouldn't it be everyones dream to get their art mass produced...wait think about that, no that's what destroys art.

I still want them, but it's a shame it's just another gimmick by puma.

I agree. I do not mean to belittle Rob.  If National Geo wanted one of my snaps for the mag, I would sell it to them, but the shoes In my opinion are more like a one of a kind, or more limited HAND produced art, not Machine made.  Just thinking out loud, but would you rather see the original David, or see a Cast reproduction.  Yes I understand the argument that copies or whatever you want to call the reproductions bring art to the masses, but at what effect on the creative process.  Scotty Cameron makes hand made putters, has for years, but since he went to Titleist Golf a hand made or mostly had made putter has gone from $300 to $2k or more depending of course on how custom.  I fear that this marks that beanie babies moment in Puma Shoes.

#13 pumaking

pumaking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:30 AM

well dont forget guys that these will be a limited run of 500 each colorway.

#14 MarcSJ08

MarcSJ08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

Looks good for summer.

anyone know the price?

*pics added*

#15 rufustelestrat

rufustelestrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

So was the orginal YO MTV shoe. It was limited, and now it seems there is not a style of ugly old puma crap, combination of mish mashed colors that they will not pander to make.  I do not like the dolution of the quality by making it de rigueur .

#16 Trexo

Trexo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

Looks good for summer.

anyone know the price?

*pics added*

After seeing the side pic they just look really cheap, I guess since it's nubuck and not lush suede. I wouldn't pay more than 120 for these.

#17 Reaa

Reaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

Or he could just stick to what he originally does. He did make ten pairs of those Crooked Tongues. If he made a few more shoes that he made more than one of that would be fine. They would still be all original since being handmade they all still look different.

I would still rather have one of one then a one of five hundred.

#18 Trexo

Trexo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

I bet bboyrazzle will pick up these kicks, the white pair with gold laces is exactly what he would want.

#19 superpavel

superpavel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2924 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:48 AM

The whole mass-production and sell-out arguments aside, I really like the look of these kicks. The blue is sweet and the other is nice almost-white-on-white, but with a subtle enough pattern to make them a little less ordinary. I appreciate them on the most basic level - a good looking shoe irrespective of the origin or back-story. I would look to score these if I could, if they were one of a kind (admittedly more difficult in that case) or 1 of 500 - I like the shoe.

As for the rest of it - I don't think this symbolizes the end to Rob L's unique custom designs, it's an opportunity to get his designs out to more people. I don't presume to know the reasoning behind it all, but I imagine some part of it is the simple desire to make his designs accessible to more people, share the art, etc. I almost look at this in a fashion world sense - imagine Rob L as a "guest designer" for Puma, with a limited run on a couple of models.

Just my 2 cents...

And, as others, I'm anxious to hear about locations/availability and cost...

#20 Trexo

Trexo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2031 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:53 AM

Like I said, I love the colors, but they just look very cheap from the side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users