• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 krutonu

krutonu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:08 AM

Before you start steaming and getting bats and chains and coming after me, I'll let you know i'm not bashing the classics. I think they look great, some combinations i've seen are amazing, however i've been looking around for a while and I've come to the conclusion that not many people are into the new stuff.

I for one would rather choose the new Motorsport Lifestyle shoes over the classics, i've got about 10 pairs of them, but not that many people seem to agree.

All of the collections I've looked at contain many different variations of the classics, yet close to none of the new stuff, such as Speed Cats and Future Cats. My collection is composed mainly of the Motorsport Lifestyle, so I'd like to know if i'm being a "bad" PUMA fan if i don't own many of the classics.  biggrin.gif  cool.gif

Let me know what your thoughts are on the Classic vs. Future.

#2 Naister

Naister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:50 AM

you aren't a bad puma fan

its just that, personally, I think those shoes are ****. Thats just me.

#3 Bootbox

Bootbox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:19 AM

The classics just fit my style better. I can see wearing Pit Cats at an autocross event but in my every day life the more plain looking Pumas look better with what I wear.

#4 krutonu

krutonu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

@ Naister

Do you think they look like ****, or are they comfortable as ****, or just plain ****? biggrin.gif

@ Bootbox

I definetly see where you're coming from. I have to agree with you, PUMA's are all about individuality.

#5 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

personally for me puma is classic bboy style no'1 and although they hit a breakthrough with the speedcats and that they will never out do a clyde/suede/state/basket because it is.. well the perfect sneaker, simple stylish classy and in a thousand colourways. what more could we ask for?

#6 pumaking

pumaking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

It all depends really and remember Opinions are like armpits - everyones got one.

Although their is a strong force in this forum torwards classics you'll still get the rest who are into the new. The main reason you see most members on here who are big into classics is because they are the members who stuck around. A lot of the members on this forum barely make over 10 posts a lot of it being "What are these" threads and a lot of them being motorsports style shoes.

For example Dave (Superpavel) has a pretty diverse collection from "What the **** was he thinking" to "Damn those are pretty nice". Same goes with me my style is diverse however im leaning torwards Puma's more sophisticated and high end style, I mainly dabble in Alexander McQueens, 96 hours, Dasslers, Yasuhiro Mihara, and soon im gonna dive into Phillipe Starck, but I also have your regular pumas, collabs and a few other.

Just remember dont take any offense to someones opinions on here. An Opinion can never be proven fact thats why its called an opinion. blush.gif For example some members didnt like my Grey spies althought I personally thought they were very clean, the same members went ape **** and goo goo gaa gaa over the MTV Yo Clydes in pink and green colorways, even though I think they look like poo poo but I gots to respect their opinion.

#7 casio

casio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

this question is one reason i don't like pumatalk in a sense: it engulfs all puma.  it's like the brand itself, it's everything.  sounds fine and dandy, but the site isn't broken up as completely as maybe it should be.  assholes like me don't want to see a lot of shoes.  actually, i'm one of the quieter members when i see shoes i despise so greatly (cats, ferrari, ducati, motorsport, most or all of the boating), but i'm likely thinking what others are choosing to say.

but why the classics?  why do we like anything we like?  sure, some things may be nostalgic, maybe some other sort of sentimentality, but sometimes we just like things that appeal to us.  mostly, for me, the classics are the shape of the shoe.  of course, as many here have failed to mention in this particular thread, we're mostly into actual classics, not just classic designs.  lately (after 2005 seems to be a fairly universal opinion) the classics have been in a rut.  i'm not saying they're all bad or have no redeeming qualities, but i would definitely redesign them if given the chance.  but yea, i guess we're into fairly basic shoes with a simple, clean cut, but enough pizazz to say "shhit, those are fvcking dope."  or, you know, "cool dude."  

and here we get into opposing opinions.  "why the classics" you ask.  many otehrs are asking "oh my god, why the cats?"  to me, they're complete eurotrash.  aszholes dressed like wannabe investment bankers who party at exclusive clubs and drink bottles of anything they think will get them recognized, that's who the cats and ferraris are made for.  there's some things that i don't like: nike air force ones, puma's inability to remake a decent classic; and then there's things which i find aesthetically preposterous: ugg boots, puma motorsports collection.  like any specifically made shoe (eg boxing, dancing), there's a time and place for motorsports shoes and, in my less than humble opinion, walking isn't one of the times or places.

in the end, classics seem to live on.  the original converse, now about 90 years old, still survives.  the clyde is, what, 40 years old?  dunks as well.  not sure on the age, but they're a classic and a huge market is there gulping them up as nike poops them out.  that isn't to say that any of these are "right," but as far as style is concerned, they're standing the test of time.  that itself should say something.  (unfortunately puma classics, as well as nike and adidas, have all seen better days.  but regardless, the basic designs which make them great are still present.)

the ambiguously gay solo,
casio

#8 krutonu

krutonu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

Well the general idea is "i like it because it fits my style perfectly". I can totally understand that, as the Motorsport collection fits my style, however i am not a wannabe investment banker, and i drink whatever i want whenever i want. biggrin.gif The idea that buying Ferrari shoes to show off does not apply to me, as the last thing i want is people asking me what my shoes are about. My thinking is that my shoes are the most important part of my outfit, and i believe that if i have to explain my shoes, my shoes have failed.

I own 4 pairs of Ferrari shoes, 3 red and 1 black. Two of the red ones are purely for driving, i do a lot of that, and the other two are for going out. I have been a Ferrari fan ever since i could say Ferrari, and i have always been fascinated with them.  I also have a pair of Inflections, 2 Future Cats, a Drift Cat, a UKE, and 2 pairs PUMA football shoes.

I know my collection is not nearly as extensive as some of yours, and the shoes might differ, but we are all PUMA fans, and that's what this great community is all about.

#9 pumaking

pumaking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:06 AM

I own 4 pairs of Ferrari shoes, 3 red and 1 black. Two of the red ones are purely for driving, i do a lot of that, and the other two are for going out. I have been a Ferrari fan ever since i could say Ferrari, and i have always been fascinated with them. I also have a pair of Inflections, 2 Future Cats, a Drift Cat, a UKE, and 2 pairs PUMA football shoes.

How many are fakes tongue.gif

#10 casio

casio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:53 AM

haha, be nice pumaking!  rolleyes.gif

i'm glad you took my post half-heartedly.  i'm hard enough to deal with in person i'm sure, but in text my tone and personality are completely lost.  but yea, motorsports and classics are as different as the Jets and the Sharks, and i think people's lifestyle is reflected in that.  many of us will never understand the sleek looking racer shoes and many i'm sure see no attraction in the blah blah classics.

maybe there will be changes.   ph34r.gif

#11 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:31 AM

to me, they're complete eurotrash.  aszholes dressed like wannabe investment bankers who party at exclusive clubs and drink bottles of anything they think will get them recognized, that's who the cats and ferraris are made for.

haha, brilliant

#12 superpavel

superpavel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2924 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

For me, it's as Casio mentioned - a matter of taste or appeal. The classic models just look better to me.

But another big factor is fit. There are some motorsports and models from other lines I like (and buy LOL), but often they seem cut smaller or more narrow and I would need to squeeeeze into them even at my proper size. And they make my size 13 feet look too long & narrow for my liking in many cases.

But hey, it's all about what ya like and what makes your style your own. While it's also true that this forum's majority of active members tends to strongly favour "the classics", it's all about the love of Puma on here, so we can all appreciate that on some level. It may not be someone else's taste, but they can respect and appreciate that another Puma head out there likes say moto shoes more than classics.

For example Dave (Superpavel) has a pretty diverse collection from "What the **** was he thinking" to "Damn those are pretty nice".

^^ LOL @ PumaKing!! Julian, that almost sounds like a great idea for a new thread... tongue.gif

#13 sageone

sageone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:06 AM

Imo puma has not released a really decent shoe since 2005 with one or two exceptions. That is not to say I dont like newer shoes, I do, just not in puma.

Why doesnt Puma get their game together lots of other shoe companies have done so and done it well. Instead Puma releases piles of horrible looking shoes with c/ws to match. Yeah people may like and buy these shoes but there is also a strong market out there for sneaker heads for nice simple looking shoes..... I mean those Alife collabs were horrible..... but there are some other branded alife collabs that are pure fire ala saucony shadow 6000 and ARC asics gel lyte III, NB etc, i mean for fks sake if lacoste can release a nice looking shoe in nice c/ws why cant puma? Id love it if puma did suedes and clydes properly and did decent reissues of nice looking pointy runners in dope c/ws but unfortunately all we get is weakly shaped clydes/suedes and a zillion fluro colours on ugly looking shoes.

ugggggggggh

#14 sneekerz

sneekerz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:36 AM

A few of us started off with the classics ( 20+ ) years ago, cause thats what was around. The motorsport stuff is more of a favorite of the new generation.

#15 casio

casio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

A few of us started off with the classics ( 20+ ) years ago, cause thats what was around. The motorsport stuff is more of a favorite of the new generation.

being as i feel that i'm a part of the "new generation" (b. 1983), i must say that that's a bit of a misleading comment.  i would agree to an extent, but all sorts of people buy the motorsports collection, young and older (maybe not "old" people; the shoes are just too flashy i'm sure).  the classics are popular with people from 16 years old to 30s and 40s as well.  i can't imagine that the age group that both types of shoes appeal to is all that different.  although a man in his 60s or older may be more likely to buy a classic, i think those who collect or admire these sneakers (classics vs motorsports) are likely to be of similar ages.

#16 pumaking

pumaking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

Just to bring up a point since several of you guys are screaming "puma what are you thinking". I've been checking Pumas financial records and they're actually doing pretty well these past couple of years Puma has been increasing profits. Soo whatever Puma is doing it seems to be working, so be happy that they are doing actually well.

#17 casio

casio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:00 AM

i've been saying that for awhile.  companies are not dumb (or financially shouldn't be) and also must legally make decisions that they believe will benefit their shareholders (this is for publicly owned/traded companies in the US; i imagine europe has similar laws).  but that isn't the whole story.  it doesn't just come down to a=b; the amount of variables is way beyond that.

first off, puma is owned by another company or companies (i may even need to use the word subsidiary; the companies, i should also note, are of the higher-end european types).  this in itself should say something about the turn of financial records if puma had a quick rise.  those who now own it have invested a lot of interest (capital) in making sure its stock's worth is increased.  also, i don't believe anyone who is asking for puma to change their classics line-up is also asking that puma disregard/abandon their motorsports, ducati, volvo racing, dassler/designer/black label, etc, we're just asking that more and better colorways and better shapes be produced within the classics realm; they've done it before, do it again.  i understand that that in itself is a vague request, but as far as i know, no one from puma has asked "alright, so what exactly do you want?"  in that case, yes, we'd definitely need some proper examples to say "this is right, this is wrong" (yea, we seem to be an opinionated bunch).

my point is that our request for a different/better classics line-up is irrelevant to their earnings/stock price, etc.  the company is doing well, and yes that has plenty to do with its newer lines, but that doesn't mean that its heritage should fade away.

looks like they peaked and dropped down over 100 Euros since their high: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=PUM.DE&...&q=l&c=

#18 sneekerz

sneekerz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

being as i feel that i'm a part of the "new generation" (b. 1983), i must say that that's a bit of a misleading comment.  i would agree to an extent, but all sorts of people buy the motorsports collection, young and older (maybe not "old" people; the shoes are just too flashy i'm sure).  the classics are popular with people from 16 years old to 30s and 40s as well.  i can't imagine that the age group that both types of shoes appeal to is all that different.  although a man in his 60s or older may be more likely to buy a classic, i think those who collect or admire these sneakers (classics vs motorsports) are likely to be of similar ages.

Thats just what I think, But I dont remember any motorsport styles in the 70's or the 80's. I do remember some of the running and tennis shoes. I am willing to bet that a person of the era who collects puma shoes would have more of the style that they had when the were a kid in high school. no ?

#19 emeraldpuma

emeraldpuma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1120 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:58 AM

sneekerz, Most of the people on this site know everything about every Puma ever made in every style,color from every country on the planet. It will do you no good to argue with anyone about anything. If you stick around , sooner or later you will know what I am talkin about. Someone in here will always know more and have more than you and they will use that to cut you down. Use this place to gain info about what you want to collect, have fun and good luck.

#20 casio

casio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

what i was saying is that, although the classics are based on older styles, many of the younger generation, which i will include myself in, collect them, just as people into their 30s and maybe 40s buy very much from the motorsports collection.  from what i've seen outside or gathered from here, the age group of people who collect shoes isn't all that different between classics and newer models (e.g. motorsports).  i mostly responded because you, maybe inadvertently, made it sound as though the young'ns were more into the newer models and less into classics whereas, by our population, it's actually the opposite i believe.  it's also possible that i misunderstood. blush.gif

and most of us, me at least, will admit to knowing very little outside of our own realm (regardless of what some people say we're like wacko.gif).  i know a few makes and models from across the board, but mostly stick to classics. even in that realm i tend to need people to school me now and then.  i rely on these guys for much info and updates to puma releases.  choose the site that fits you best, or, like some of us do, visit a couple of sites, or go at it alone.  that's your choice.  and i would love to add that we're an open bunch, but as everyone has the tendency to turn into a bit of a sarcastic asshole online (or is that just me?), it isn't always like that.  but if you have similar tastes, you will find more people to gain knowledge from or share info with.  around here we're all teachers and students and even friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users